With car scrapping on the rise, it’s crucial to explore ways to harness the full potential of your vehicle. A car is comparable to a personal retreat, a haven that is truly your own, allowing you to detach from the outside world and immerse yourself in the joy of every drive. By making the most of your car, you can enjoy cost savings, minimize waste generation, and actively contribute to a more sustainable automotive culture.
Regularly change the engine oil and oil filter
Oil filters are crucial for engine performance. They remove excess heat, filter out contaminants, minimize friction, and reduce engine noise. These functions ensure a clean, well-lubricated, and efficient engine, contributing to its longevity and optimal operation.
Find out which oil your car needs
Follow the recommended maintenance schedule for servicing and tune-ups.
- Ford maintenance schedule
- Volkswagen maintenance schedule
- Vauxhall maintenance schedule
- BMW maintenance schedule
- Mercedes-Benz maintenance schedule
- Audi maintenance schedule
- Nissan maintenance schedule
- Toyota maintenance schedule
- Land Rover maintenance schedule
- Honda maintenance schedule
- Peugeot maintenance schedule
- Skoda maintenance schedule
- Volvo maintenance schedule
- Kia maintenance schedule
- Hyundai maintenance schedule
Keep the tires properly inflated and rotate them regularly to ensure even wear
Tyre rotation is vital for even wear and extended tyre life, enhancing safety and performance. Typically, it is recommended to have a tyre rotation done either during your regular vehicle servicing or at least once every 12 months or 6,000 miles. However, if you frequently drive long distances at high speeds or carry heavy loads, more frequent rotations may be necessary.
What is the correct method of inflating tires?
- Check the recommended tire pressure for your vehicle.
- Use a reliable tire pressure gauge to measure the current pressure.
- Inflate the tires gradually, intermittently verifying the pressure.
- Check that the pressure matches the recommended level.
- Double-check the pressure after inflation and make any necessary adjustments.
- Safeguard against dirt and moisture by securely replacing the valve caps.
- Regularly check and inflate your tires to the recommended pressure for longer life and better fuel efficiency.
- Make it a habit to check your tire pressure monthly and before setting off on long journeys.
Ensure the battery is securely fastened and keep the terminals clean
Your car battery powers the engine, air conditioning, music, and electrical system. Therefore, Taking care of your battery’s health is definitely worth the effort.
How to do a car battery health check at home ?
- Use a car battery tester to check the battery’s voltage (12.4V to 12.7V is healthy).
- Check the headlights’ brightness (dimness may indicate a low battery).
- Look for a built-in battery health indicator (red for low voltage, green for good condition).
- Inspect the battery for corrosion and sulphuric smell.
- Check for bulges or cracks (suggesting overcharging).
- Follow safety protocols when handling the battery.
Check and replace worn-out brake pads and brake fluid
Brake pads are essential components in a vehicle’s braking system. As a crucial safety feature, it is necessary to maintain the brake pads in optimal condition. The continuous use of brakes in cars gradually leads to the need for brake pads replacement. Moisture, dirt, and debris can infiltrate brake fluid over time, impacting brake performance and posing safety risks. If your car shows signs like persistent squeaking, reduced braking efficiency, pulling to one side, pedal vibrations, or dashboard warning lights, it’s time to schedule a brake pad replacement. Don’t delay; prioritize replacing the brake pads to ensure safety on the road.
Maintain a clean vehicle, both inside and out, to prevent rust and maintain its appearance.
Here are 8 tips to keep your car clean:
- Vacuum the seats, carpets, and mats regularly to remove dirt and dust.
- Wipe down the dashboard, doors, and console with a cleaner to remove stains and dirt.
- Clean the windows and mirrors with a glass cleaner and a soft cloth.
- Wash the outside of your car regularly using car shampoo and a soft sponge or cloth.
- Use a wheel cleaner and brush to remove dirt from the wheels and rims.
- Apply a protective wax or sealant to make your car shiny and protect it from the weather.
- Clean the plastic surfaces and trims using a suitable cleaner.
- Use specific cleaning products for leather seats, fabric upholstery, and chrome parts to keep them in good condition.
Avoiding aggressive acceleration and braking while driving to prevent unnecessary strain on your car’s components.
By driving responsibly and following these tips, you can protect your car from unnecessary strain and ensure its longevity.
- Smooth acceleration reduces engine and transmission strain.
- Gentle braking minimizes wear on brake components.
- Maintaining a consistent speed improves fuel efficiency.
- Planning ahead avoids sudden maneuvers and stops.
- Following recommended maintenance intervals keeps components in good condition.
As we come to the end, consider the sentimental value your car holds. It has witnessed your laughter, tears, and moments of reflection. Extend its lifespan as a token of gratitude, allowing it to continue being a steadfast companion on life’s winding road. When it’s time to bid farewell to your vehicle, keep in mind that scrapping should be your last consideration. We guarantee the best price and assistance for your car scrapping necessities.
Get an Instant Quote for your scrap car
Looking for a reliable car scrapping service in Kent, Essex, Surrey or London? Get the best value for your scrap car with SC Car Scrap. Obtain an instant quote for scrap car removal and vehicle disposal with top prices paid in quick cash. We only require below information.